Big or small, pay for it all
With the San Mateo Credit Union Visa® Debit Card in your wallet, you can pay quickly, safely, and be on your way in no time.
Use wherever Visa® is accepted
Whether you’re down the street, down in Southern California, or vacationing down under, your SMCU debit card can be used anywhere Visa® cards are accepted. In stores or online, you’re covered.
You’re in control
Purchases made with your card are withdrawn from your checking account, so you can easily track your spending using Online Banking or Mobile Banking, right from your phone. And, you can set up account alerts to keep track of card activity.
Helpful debit card features
- Apple Pay™ compatibility
- Access to ATMs worldwide, including 30,000+ surcharge-free CO-OP ATMs in the U.S.
- No monthly or annual fees
- Traveling internationally? Look for these logos at ATMs to access cash. Note: Surcharges and exchange rates may apply. Use these ATM search tools to find a Plus/Visa ATM or Pulse ATM internationally.
Your San Mateo Credit Union Visa® Debit Card comes with EMV chip technology, too. It’s the latest and most advanced way to protect your account and your identity.
Free Text Fraud Alerts
Text Fraud Alerts helps protect you by immediately texting you when potential fraud on your debit card occurs. There is no need to sign up, as all San Mateo Credit Union Visa® Debit Cards are enrolled. Benefits include:
- Minimization of fraud exposure on your account
- Being in control of knowing and detecting fraud faster
- A free service to you, as a SMCU debit card holding member
You’ll receive an introductory text message that offers the opportunity to opt-in to future text fraud alerts. You just need to make sure at this time that your cell phone number and email are up-to-date.
How to update your cell phone and email:
- Log into online banking and select “settings” at the top
- Select Profile and click on Email and Phone Number
- Answer the security prompt then update your information
How do free text fraud alerts work?
A text message will be sent to your cell phone when a suspicious transaction is identified on your San Mateo Credit Union Visa® Debit Card. You simply reply “yes” or “no”.
If you text:
“Yes” – your card will remain available for use
“No” – indicating that you believe this is not a purchase of yours, we will then text a number for you to call to validate the charge
If you are enrolled, but decide to opt-out please text the word “Stop” when receiving an interactive text. If you have any questions about this service, please call our Contact Center at (650) 363-1725 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 6:00 pm or Saturday, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
What if my debit card is lost or stolen?
Don’t worry. SMCU debit cards come with zero liability protection, which means you won’t be liable for unauthorized transactions if your card is stolen, lost, or used fraudulently. Report your card lost or stolen right away by calling SMCU at (650) 363-1725 or after hours (888) 241-2510.
You’ll receive a Visa® Debit Card when you open any checking account. Open an account online or stop by one of our San Mateo branches.