SMCU Educational Scholarship
Supporting your goals for higher education
San Mateo Credit Union (SMCU) was established in 1952 to serve the San Mateo County community. In keeping with our commitment to assist our area's young people with college expenses, the SMCU Educational Scholarship was created.
Extent of Scholarship
This year, SMCU will offer two $5,000 Educational Scholarships. Awards will assist in paying tuition, housing, book or meal costs and SMCU will determine the method used to release scholarship funds. The maximum award is $5,000 per recipient.
The awarding of the scholarships is based on high school academic standing, school involvement and community service, and essay. Financial need may also be considered.
- Scholarships are available to class of 2020 high school seniors and to 2019 graduates who took a gap year and are enrolling in a college or technical school for the first time
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater and must upload an unofficial transcript and SAT/ACT scores (if applicable)
Applicants must provide a typed essay of at least 500 words on the following prompt:
San Mateo Credit Union believes in the philosophy of People Helping People. Tell us about a time when you helped someone in need and explain how creating a culture of giving could impact your community, school, or family.
- There is no restriction regarding applicants’ county of residence
- Winners will be recognized at the SMCU Annual Meeting on Thursday May 21, 2020
- Applicants must plan to enroll in an accredited college or technical school for Fall 2020. If selected as a winner, enrollment will be verified prior to receiving scholarship funds
Deadline for Submission - Now Extended
In consideration of those impacted by the COVID-19 health crisis, the Educational Scholarship Program has decided to extend the application deadline to Friday April 10, 2020 at 11:59pm
. Applications must be received on or before the deadline by electronically submitting all materials through the form below.
If you have any questions about scholarship eligibility, please contact us at (650) 363-1725 or via email at email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in the 2020 Educational Scholarship Program. If you have any questions about scholarship eligibility, please contact us at (650) 363-1725 or via email at
. Winners will be notified in April 2020.