San Mateo Credit Union (SMCU) was established in 1952 to serve the San Mateo County community. In keeping with our commitment to assist our area's young people with college expenses, the SMCU Educational Scholarship was created.
Extent of Scholarship
This year, SMCU will offer two $3,000 Educational Scholarships. Awards will assist in paying tuition, housing, book or meal costs and SMCU will determine the method used to release scholarship funds. The maximum award is $3,000 per recipient.
The awarding of the scholarships is based on high school academic standing (25%), school involvement and community service (25%), and essay (50%). Financial need may also be considered. There is no restriction to the applicant's county of residence.
- Scholarships are available to 2019 graduating high school seniors. 2018 high school graduates enrolling in a college/ technical school for the first time are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants must apply to at least one accredited college or technical school for the Fall 2019 term by the March 15, 2019 scholarship deadline. Winners will be asked to provide San Mateo Credit Union with a verification of acceptance into an accredited college or technical school to receive the scholarship award.
- Applicant must have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 or above, and must submit an unofficial high school transcript with their scholarship application. Please also include a copy of your SAT and/or ACT scores (if applicable) along with a resume or brag sheet. Additional consideration will be given to students based on academic standing, community service, and school involvement.
- Applicant must provide a typed, 500-word minimum essay answering the following prompt: San Mateo Credit Union believes in the power of education and the importance of People Helping People. How can access to financial education empower you and support your community?
- Winners will be contacted in April 2019 and must plan to attend the SMCU Annual Meeting on Thursday, April 25, 2019 where the scholarship award will be presented. We strongly recommend that someone represent you on your behalf if you are unavailable.
- There is no restriction regarding the applicant's county of residence.
- Immediate family members of SMCU employees or board members are not eligible.
- Winners agree to have their names/photos published in press releases and in SMCU publications, where appropriate. A signed release waiver is required.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Friday, March 15, 2019 by 11:59pm
Applications must be received on or before the deadline by electronically submitting all materials through the form below.